The Chicago Fire

The Chicago Fire

It had taken almost a hundred days before the fire broke out in 8th October 1871 in Chicago. For all those days, it had not rained in Chicago. The structures in the entire city were made of wood including the buildings. The sidewalks and roads were just but planks, which were laid down on top of mud. They had all dried out due to the parched summer weather. When autumn came, leaves covered the brown lawns. Additionally, hay was also stockpiled for the domestic animals in preparation for winter. Essentially, kerosene and wood were always on-hand for cooking and heating. Lack of rain for such a long period in Chicago had left everything in such a way that, any spark could set fire that would probably seep large tracks of land or even the whole city. A strong and steady wind always blew from the sides of the south-western part of Chicago and what was required was just but a spark of fire to start a huge inferno all over the city.

Replacements for the fire volunteer department had been made in 1858 and full time professional cops had taken over their duties. As the new department in charge, they had requested larger water mains, new hydrants, and two fireboats for patrolling the rivers spanned by use of the wooden bridges. They also need more men to assist in the duties. In addition, the requested to have a department for building inspection that would be in charge of the storey business buildings, which were shoddily, build. The buildings acted as fire traps. The city had declined all the requests in fear of higher taxes hindering the growth and development of businesses

The fire fighters, who were only 185 in number, battled the city blazes each day in October 1871. This culminated into 17-hour battle of controlling the fire that ended up consuming four blocks of the city. The fire had begun on Saturday of October 7 and put the fire department on gear up to that Sunday morning.

The success in putting out the fire by the concerned department was dependent on the ability to spot the inferno as it occurred and controlling it before it even spread to other building or localities. At about 9PM on October 8th when the fire occurred, the guards put on duty perceived the fire on the western side of Chicago. The fire was located on a grid after alarm went out. The drawback was that, the guard had missed the location of the place by almost a mile. The defence, which was exhausted, were just coalescing about the whole location

On October 8th 1871, during the evening hours at the street of 137 De Koven on the western side of Chicago the neighbour of Catherine O’Leary reported that they had seen flames coming from the cow barn of O’leary. Within short period, the fire destroyed the poor shanties and was carried by wind towards the north and eastern parts. As warehouses and factories caught fire, higher flames were fuelled and filled the whole vicinity. The heat rose and increased compelling the cooler air down. As a result, the superheated air columns whirled and created the worst Tornado of whirl wind ever experienced in history then. As the whirling wind blew much faster, the roofs were ripped off.  They were thrown hundred miles on the air.

Lump of fire spewed across the rivers of Chicago and by midnight, flames caught the southern side. Later, other chunks of flames were thronged across the rivers. The tossed flames landed on a tanker that harboured kerosene on the northern side. This doomed the wood-constructed residential areas of the northern side. The wood and trees burned, stones converted to dust as other stones crumbled and collapsed into rubble. Indeed, even steel and iron melted. The Palmer house was destroyed, the Marshall Field was blackened, the McCormick Reaper was consumed and the fire consumed other big buildings. Hundreds of people lost their properties and were left homeless. Crazed horses wildly flailed as trees exploded. Dogs were perceived running around in circles as rats fled the fire from the wooden sidewalks. In fact, some were killed by stampede of human as they ran. People ran and prisons were opened for the criminals to survive the night. Carriage drivers were hired by the rich to ferry their properties. Some of them if lucky found their properties and the drivers safe. The poor got into business of grabbing precious items, which they later abandoned as they sought shelter.

Heat seared through the backs of people as they ran and dried their lungs and chest as they tried drawing breath. In fact, the fire leaped ahead barring all possible path of escaping from it .At length, a big number of people accumulated along the lakes and water basins wading up to the stomach height in a bid to escape the sparks and heat. During that night, all people were united along the lake in their misfortune.

Fortunately, on tenth morning, rain came and flames were extinguished. About 300 individuals (one in every thousand people) died. More than 70,000 constructions and 73 

Enjoy big discounts

Get 35% discount on your first order

We have made it easy for you to place an order


WHATSAPP: +1 (209) 260-9257

TWITTER: Our Twitter Page

EMAIL:[email protected]